Summer Of Soul - Original Soundtrack
INCLUDES LIVE RENDITIONS FROM THE 1969 HARLEM CULTURAL FESTIVAL OF CLASSICS BY NINA SIMONE, B.B. KING, SLY & THE FAMILY STONE, GLADYS KNIGHT & THE PIPS, & MORE
Like the documentary, most of the audio recordings that were recorded during the 1969 Harlem Cultural Festival have not been heard for over 50 years, keeping this incredible event in America’s history lost - until now. The Summer of Soul (...Or, When The Revolution Could Not Be Televised) Original Motion Picture Soundtrack is a joyous musical celebration and the rediscovery of a nearly erased historical event that celebrated Black culture, pride and unity.
For the album, Questlove carefully selected 17 live renditions of jazz, blues, R&B, Latin, and soul classics performed over the course of The Harlem Cultural Festival in 1969 as chronicled by the film.
Additionally, the Soundtrack boasts everything from B.B. King’s poignant and powerful guitar-driven gem “Why I Sing The Blues” to the rapturous “Precious Lord Take My Hand” by The Operation Breadbasket Orchestra & Choir featuring Mahalia Jackson and Mavis Staples. Not to mention, Gladys Knight & The Pips show out on a simmering “I Heard It Through The Grapevine,” while Nina Simone’s voice smolders on “Backlash Blues” and “Are You Ready.”
Said Ahmir “Questlove” Thompson, “It goes beyond saying that you can’t have a monster music journey on film without an equally awesome soundtrack. The people demanded ‘more!’. So for the people, we bring you musical manna that hopefully won’t be the last serving. These performances are lightning in a bottle. Pure artistry! Enjoy.”
- The Chambers Brothers - “Uptown”
- B.B. King - “Why I Sing The Blues”
- The 5th Dimension - “Don’t Cha Hear Me Callin’ To Ya”
- The 5th Dimension - “Aquarius/Let The Sunshine In (The Flesh Failures)”
- David Ruffin - “My Girl”
- The Edwin Hawkins Singers - “Oh Happy Day”
- The Staple Singers - “It’s Been A Change”
- The Operation Breadbasket Orchestra & Choir Featuring Mahalia Jackson and Mavis Staples - “Precious Lord Take My Hand”
- Gladys Knight & The Pips - “I Heard It Through The Grapevine”
- Mongo Santamaria - “Watermelon Man”
- Ray Barretto - “Together”
- Herbie Mann- “Hold On, I’m Comin’”
- Sly & The Family Stone - “Sing A Simple Song”
- Sly & The Family Stone - “Everyday People”
- Nina Simone - “Backlash Blues”
- Nina Simone - “Are You Ready"